Tampa Bicycle Accident Attorneys
One of life’s simple pleasures is riding a bike. Fun, healthy, and practical, cycling is enjoyed by people of all ages and all backgrounds. But cyclists face unique challenges and dangers. They share the road with cars, trucks, buses, and other vehicles, as well as with fellow cyclists.
When cyclists and motorists collide, or when poorly maintained roads or paths cause crashes, the result can often be devastating. Even with helmets and other protective gear, cyclists are extremely vulnerable to catastrophic injuries or death simply by virtue of their exposure and the size and speed of the vehicles they share the road with.
At Alley, Clark & Greiwe, we help victims of bicycle accidents in Tampa and throughout Florida recover and obtain compensation after they have sustained injuries and losses caused by someone else’s negligence. We understand the challenges and dangers faced by cyclists, and know how much a serious injury or loss of a loved one in a bike accident can turn lives upside-down. That is why we provide compassionate representation for our bicycle injury clients while aggressively pursuing compensation and justice that can help them recover.
Bicycle Accidents and Injuries Are Common
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bicycle trips account for only 1% of all trips in the United States, but bicyclists face a significantly higher risk of injury or death than occupants in vehicles. The tragic statistics reveal the scope of the problem:
- In 2015, over 1,000 American bicyclists died and almost 467,000 people suffered bicycle-related injuries.
- That same year, 150 people died in cycling accidents in Florida, the largest number of any state.
- In 2016, there were 227 bicycle crashes in Tampa which resulted in four deaths, while 12 people were killed in bicycle accidents countywide.
Cars are the Leading Cause of Bicycle Accident Injuries
According to the 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors, almost one-third of all biking injuries are caused when bicyclists are struck by cars.
The ways in which cars cause serious injury to cyclists are numerous, and include:
- The failure of the driver to yield the right of way to the bicyclist when making a left or right turn
- “Dooring,” or when a person parked on the side of the road opens his or her door without looking in the rearview mirror, resulting in the bicyclist not having time to take evasive action and colliding with the door
- Driving or drifting into the bike lane
- An insufficient shoulder or designated bike lane which forces a cyclist to ride in traffic and the failure of a driver to accommodate
- Intersection-related accidents, including failure to stop at a stop sign or red light
- Side swipes
- Road rage
Alley, Clark & Greiwe: Tampa Bicycle Accident Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, it is important to contact an experienced auto accident attorney as soon as possible. Your lawyer can help preserve critical evidence, obtain witness statements, and deal with insurance companies determined to pay as little as possible.
As advocates for bicycle accident injury victims, the experienced attorneys at Alley, Clark & Greiwe are relentless in pursuing compensation from negligent drivers and others responsible for such accidents.
Please call one of Alley, Clark & Greiwe’s Tampa bicycle accident attorneys today at 813-222-0977 or contact us online to arrange for your free initial consultation and case evaluation. We look forward to assisting you.