News & Resources
School is Starting Soon: How to Keep Children Safe on Area Roadways
It is that time of year again when traffic becomes a little more hectic as school buses, parents, and teenagers begin daily treks back and forth to area schools. With this additional roadway congestion, it is important to be reminded of ways we can all assist in keeping our most precious citizens, our children, safe. Our Tampa car accident lawyer details how many motor vehicle accidents involving school children occur and what we can do to prevent them.
Automobile Accidents Involving School Buses and How To Avoid Them
Every commuter dreads being stuck behind a school bus. Buses tend to move slower than other vehicles and due to their size can block the view of other drivers. Many of the accidents involving buses seen by a Tampa car accident lawyer tend to happen when:
- Other drivers ignore the “STOP” sign that extends from the side of the bus
- Buses are not properly maintained
- There is excessive speeding by the bus driver
- There is excessive speeding by other motor vehicle operators
- There is inclement weather
The best way to avoid an accident with a school bus is to slow down and give the bus plenty of space to move and stop when needed. Most importantly, ALWAYS bring your vehicle to a complete stop for the entire length of time the bus has the “STOP” sign extended.
Avoiding School Zone Accidents in Florida
A school zone is a designated space located around a school whose purpose is to provide students that are walking (pedestrians) a safe place to enter and exit the school premises. School zones are typically indicated by road signs, flashing lights, signs painted on the pavement, and school crossing guards. Even with all these measures in place to provide a safe zone for staff and students, accidents still occur resulting in injuries to the pedestrians.
Tactics For Pedestrians To Avoid School Zone Accidents
- Do not assume drivers see you
- When crossing the street in front of a bus, leave at least 10 feet of space between you and the bus
- Do not walk in front of a bus or other vehicle stopped in a school zone until the crossing guard signals for you to do so
- Avoid distractions such as smart devices
- Use designated crosswalks
Tactics For Drivers To Avoid School Zone Accidents
- Always yield the right of way to a pedestrian
- Do not pass other vehicles while in a school zone
- Obey all posted traffic signs, including the speed limit
- Do not drive while tired or under the effects of drugs or alcohol
Consult With a Tampa Car Accident Lawyer Right Away
If you or a loved one has been injured in an automobile accident, contact a Tampa car accident lawyer at Alley Clark & Greiwe via their contact page or by calling 1-800-840-0977. They are experienced legal professionals that will advocate for the compensation you deserve.